Temple Newsam, Leeds, West Yorkshire


Temple Newsam, Leeds 
The Dining Room
Postmarked 1936
Publisher: Pickard Photo, Leeds

Google Street VIew (approximate)

Temple Newsam House is a magnificent stately home, surrounded by acres of land. It is a Tudor Jacobean Mansion House with over 42 rooms. The whole estate is almost 1,000 acres including parkland, lakes and a farm. The grounds of Newsam was first recorded in the Doomsday book in 1086. The word Newsam means ‘new houses’ and ‘temple’ refers to the Knights Templar who used to own the land where the house is built. The house was built by Thomas Lord Darcy between 1500 – 1520. It was the largest house of its day in Yorkshire. During its long history there have been many important owners. It was seized by the King of England, Henry VIII, after he beheaded Darcy in 1537. King Henry gave the house to his niece, Margaret, as a wedding present when she married Matthew Lennox. Margaret and Matthew had a son, Henry Lord Darnley, who was born at Temple Newsam House in 1545. The house was seized for the second time by Queen Elizabeth I when Henry Lord Darnley married Mary Queen of Scots.

In 1922 the estate was sold to Leeds City Council for £35,000, with the house included as a gift. The objects and furniture were auctioned off. The house was then empty for a period of time, before being used as a sculpture gallery in the 1940s. After this, the process of restoring the house began, returning many of the impressive interiors to their historic appearance from different centuries.
The Story of Temple Newsam

In 1841 the estate was inherited by Hugo Charles Meynell Ingram (d. 1869), son of Elizabeth Ingram, sister of Frances Ingram (Lady Gordon), who made no alterations to the estate. In 1868, the Prince of Wales stayed at Temple Newsam during his visit to Leeds to open the Fine Art Exhibition in the New Infirmary; temporary triumphal arches were erected on the estate. Following Hugo Charles’s death, his son Hugo Meynell-Ingram (d.1871) inherited Temple Newsam; two years later, at his death, his wife Emily Meynell Ingram (d.1904) inherited the estate. Emily spent a large part of her widowhood at Temple Newsam; she developed it considerably by replacing the sash windows and remodelling the dining room, great staircase and Lord Darnley’s room. . . .At the end of the 19th century, Emily Meynell Ingram replaced the sash windows with stone mullions and leaded lights and rebuilt the north porch adding the Meynell Ingram coat of arms over the doorway. She redecorated several rooms and had the great oak staircase installed. The dining room, great staircase and Lord Darnley’s room were remodelled in Elizabethan style. In 1877, Emily converted the library at the east end of the gallery into a chapel.
Wikipedia

Leave a comment

%d bloggers like this: