Churchyard cross, Ombersley


Old Stone Cross, Ombersley Village near Worcester
Dated & postmarked 1911

Google Street VIew

The church was built in 1829, at a cost of £1,600; is in the decorated English style; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and lofty spire; and contains about 900 sittings. The chancel of the old church still stands, and is used as the Sandys burial-place. The churchyard contains an ancient cross.
Parishmouse: Ombersley Worcestershire Family History Guide

Churchyard cross. Late C15; restored early C18 and late C19. Sandstone ashlar. Raised on four-stepped plinth; square, moulded base with quatre- foil panelled sides, late C19 octagonal shaft chamfered out to square base and above to square moulded capital, of probable late C17 date, having a sundial on its south face; early C18 pyramidal capping and ball finial.
Historic England

George W Gillingham, vicar of Ombersley (1934-1953), described the old village cross in his book, “Ombersley: An Historical and Sporting Guide” (1948):
“Originally it was the very centre of everything. The market was held close by. The old roads from Worcester and Droitwich met almost beneath it and then went their divers ways. The old church stood within a few yards and the worshipers passed close by it for Divine Service. It was used as a station for processions and outdoor preaching. Important public pronouncements were made from its steps.”

When the schools were in the village centre and the weather was arm and sunny, the girls were allowed to sit on the steps to do their knitting and sewing. Without doubt the Old Village Cross, or at least parts of it, are ancient. The base is four steps of sandstone blocks. The plinth has quatrefoil carvings and is thought to be c14th. The shaft, which is probably not the original one, has chamfered edges top and bottom and is topped with sandstone block that once was a sundial. Gillingham thought it was the third shaft because he assumed the first would have been smashed during the Reformation. However, whether the original was destroyed and a second one replaced before 1825 remains pure speculation or supposition.

Indeed, Gillingham’s description of the shaft’s chamfered edges and sundial match that made in 1825 by Dr. Peter Prattinton, renowned and avid collector of Worcestershire history and antiquities. A hundred years later we see the same shaft in a watercolour painted by Frank Moss Bennet. On the third step on the west side is a niche that, at some time long passed and on market days, may have held a pot of vinegar. This, it is thought, was used to disinfect money. The same story is also told about the plague stone, now displayed on the old weighbridge site.
Ombersely WW1 Remember Research Collection Form

In the churchyard is a tall cross raised on a platform of four steps; the 15th-century square base is moulded and its faces are panelled with quatrefoils. The shaft is octagonal, chamfered out to the square above and below, and supports a red sandstone head, surmounted by a hollow-sided pyramid. The cornice and the pyramid are 18th-century work and the lower part of the head probably 17th-century. A dial is set on the south face.
“A History of the County of Worcester: Volume 3”, British History Online

Church Yard, Old Town, Isles of Scilly, England


The Churchyard, St Mary’s Scilly
1900s
Publisher: F. Hartmann, 1902-1909

Google Street View (approximate location).

The Anglican church of St Mary was built at Old Town, Isles of Scilly during the 12th century, perhaps around 1130. Re-building was carried out between 1660 and 1667 including the addition of the south aisle, and a west end gallery for soldiers from the Garrison. Further improvements were made in 1743 when the east end was rebuilt. . . . The churchyard of Old Town church serves as the principal cemetery for the island of St Mary’s. Over the centuries countless members of the old Scilly families have been buried here, as have been the crews of numerous ships lost near the Isles.
Wikipedia.