Argyle Lodging, Stirling

Courtyard, Argyle House, Stirling
Dated 1908
Publisher: Valentine

Google Street View.

Argyll’s Lodging is the most complete surviving example of a seventeenth century town house in Scotland. It can be found in the upper part of Stirling, just below Stirling Castle’s Esplanade. The house sits behind a screen wall and comprises a collection of buildings built in two phases and in three ranges around an enclosed courtyard. Conversion and extension of an existing sixteenth century tower house began in the 1630s for Sir William Alexander, 1st Earl of Stirling, who had previously resided at Menstrie Castle. Further enlargement was undertaken in the 1670s for the 9th Earl of Argyll. Argyll’s Lodging shows considerable French influence. The turrets sited at each corner of the house overlooking the courtyard have conical roofs typical of French provincial townhouses. Visitors enter the complex through an archway from the road into the courtyard. This is much as it would have been in the 1670s.
Undiscovered Scotland

Argyll’s Lodging — View from the street, “The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth century”, David MacGibbon, 1887

Read more

The Tribunal, Glastonbury, Somerset

Glastonbury, The Tribunal
Publsher: The Pictorial Stationery Co., London

Google Street View.

The Tribunal in Glastonbury, Somerset, England, was built in the 15th century as a merchant’s house. It has been designated as a Grade I listed building. The history of the building is not well documented, although the majority of the present stone house was constructed in the 15th century on the site of a 12th-century wooden building. The current front wall was added in the 16th century. It has been used as a merchant’s house and possibly a shop and school. It was thought that it was the venue for court proceedings, hence the title Tribunal, however there is no evidence this ever occurred. One of the ground floor rooms still has the window and ceiling panels from the Elizabethan era. The front room upstairs has an arched braced, wooden, truss roof. . . . The house owes its name to the fact that it was formerly mistakenly identified with the Abbey’s tribunals, where secular justice was administered for Glaston Twelve Hides. The name may have been first used by John Collinson in his History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset in 1791, however when investigated by Richard Warner in 1826 he could not identify where the name had originated. It was also thought to be the site of trials by Judge Jeffreys for the Bloody Assizes after the Monmouth Rebellion.

The current building was constructed in the 15th century on the site of a wooden building dating from the 12th century. In the 16th century a new facade was added to the original building. It is possible that the stonework and window of the front wall were removed from the abbot’s lodgings behind the great kitchen of the Abbey as similar features can be identified in a 1712 engraving, and it is known that the building was ruined and without its front wall by 1723. The door is original and above it are a Tudor rose and the arms of Richard Beere who was Abbot of Glastonbury from 1493 to 1524.

The well-preserved Glastonbury Tribunal is thought to have been a 15th-century merchant’s house and a residence for one of Glastonbury Abbey’s officials.
The name ‘Tribunal’ comes from the belief that the building once housed the abbey’s tribunals, a courtroom where justice was administered for managing the abbey’s vast estates. More recent historical research suggests that the building was not, in fact, used as a tribunal, but the name is so well-established that it will probably be known as the Glastonbury Tribunal as long as it stands.

The facade facing onto the High Street is typical of late medieval and Tudor houses at ground level. A projecting bay was added at first-floor level in the early years of the 16th century and you can clearly see where the addition joins to the older medieval stonework. Over the doorway are heraldic shields carved with symbols of the Tudor rose and the arms of Abbot Beer, who died in 1524. The ground floor has internal divisions added in the centuries following construction. One ground-floor room retains its fireplace and you can see linenfold panelling below the window opening. You can easily spot places where corbels helped support an upper floor, and where the medieval stairs stood. The rear ground-floor chamber has a panelled ceiling.
Britain Express

The building is a typical late medieval house, with a separate kitchen block at the rear. A passage leads from the front door through to the courtyard at the back. The present façade with its projecting first-floor bay was added in the early 16th century: the construction joints are clearly visible in the masonry. The Tudor rose and the badge of Abbot Beer (died 1524) have been reset over the entrance to the passage. Within the house, several internal partitions were added when the building was let to different tenants later in its history.

The ground-floor front room retains its arched fireplace with recesses on either side, and below the window the wooden panels, carved to imitate linen folds, date from the 16th century. Scars on the wall show the location of the medieval stairs, and corbels or supports mark the position of an upper floor. The room at the back was the main chamber and has a fine panelled ceiling; the four-light window in the north wall is original, while those in the east and west walls were inserted in the 17th century. The kitchen block at the back of the house is a separate building added in Elizabethan times. The first floor, which now houses the Lake Village Museum, repeats the arrangement of the ground floor. The main room at the front extends over the entrance passage and retains its fine original open roof.
English Heritage

Tresco Abbey Gardens, Isles of Scilly

Scilly Isles. Old Abbey Ruins. Dracaena in Bloom.
Publisher: Pictorial Stationery Co.

Google Street View.

In 1834, Augustus Smith left Hertfordshire and took up residence on the Isles of Scilly as Lord Proprietor and leaseholder of all the islands, choosing Tresco as his home… He selected a site adjacent to St Nicholas Priory – which had fallen into disrepair in the sixteenth century – to build his home. On a rocky outcrop above these ruins, Augustus Smith built his house, which he named Tresco Abbey. In addition to constructing the house, he started almost immediately creating a garden based around the priory ruins. In order to protect his early plantings from the winter gales, he built a series of walls around the garden. The garden then expanded across the south-facing hillside on a series of terraces carved from the granite subsoil.
Tresco Island

Tresco Priory is a former monastic settlement on Tresco, Isles of Scilly founded in 946 AD. It was re-founded as the Priory of St Nicholas by monks from Tavistock Abbey in 1114. A charter of King Henry I mentions a priory as belonging to Tavistock Abbey in the reign of Edward the Confessor. . . The Priory did not survive the Dissolution of the Monasteries and may well have closed earlier. The remains of the priory are now incorporated into Tresco Abbey Gardens.

Scilly. | Tresco Abbey.

Google Street View.

Tresco Abbey Gardens are located on the island of Tresco in the Isles of Scilly, United Kingdom. The 17 acre gardens were established by the nineteenth-century proprietor of the islands, Augustus Smith, originally as a private garden within the grounds of the home he designed and built. The gardens are designated at Grade I in the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.

Augustus Smith chose Tresco as the site of his home because the site was more or less central in relation to the rest of the islands. It is also close to the original abbey ruins, is near a fresh water pool and overlooks the sand dunes and beach at Carn Near. The area at the time was barren land and the original building, designed by Smith and started in 1835, was small in comparison to the current building. He made additions to the house in 1843 and 1861. The Grade II listed house consists of roughly coursed granite with ashlar dressings and a slate roof. Some of the timbers from the 1861 wreck of the Award were used for the panelling and roof of the new dining room, as well as panelling of the rooms Annet, Rosevean and Rosevear. His successor, Thomas Smith-Dorrien-Smith, added the tower in 1891.

Country house. Mostly of 1843 and 1861, with tower of 1891, for Augustus Smith and Thomas Algernon Dorrien Smith. Roughly coursed granite with ashlar dressings; slate roofs and granite ashlar stacks. Complex evolved plan: main square block with east tower, to east of west wing and south-west wing. 2 and 3 storeys. North elevation has 3-storey entrance bay between main block and west wing, with monogram AS and date 1843 over chamfered 4-centred arched doorway; this is flanked by a slender 3-storey tower with small windows
Historic England

Aloes Steps, Tresco

Publisher: “The ‘Neptune’ Series by C. King, Scilly Isles”

Google Street View.

Stone Castle, Stone, Kent

Stone Castle
“Snowden’s Series”

Google Street View (approximate).

Mediaeval and circa 1825. In the south-east corner of the building is a mediaeval, probably late C12, square tower of 3 storeys faced with knapped flints with some stone quoins. Parapet over it. Two arrow slit windows in the north wall and a circular stair turret. The other windows are modern. To the north-west of this is a house of circa 1825 which was altered by Henry Hakewill (died 1830).
Historic England

Stone Castle is located in the village of Stone, 10 km away from Gravesend. Dating from the mid 11th century, the castle was thought to have been built without licence during the reign of King Stephen, but later allowed to remain by Henry II on his accession to the throne. In 1165 Thomas A Becket stopped at Stone Castle on his way to Canterbury. It is believed that the castle fell into disrepair and was rebuilt in the 13th century. . . . In 1660 the Stone Castle changed owners again when it became the property of Dr Thomas Plume, Arch Deacon of Rochester. The existing house was built onto the old tower in 1825 and further extended 13 years later.
Castles and Palaces of the World

West Tarring, England

Tarring – The Old Houses
Publisher: John Davis, 24 Victoria Street

Google Street View.

West Tarring village lay in the south part of the parish. There seems no reason to believe that the early medieval village centre was not on the present site, as has been suggested, even though the church lies away from it. The village consists of three streets, called North, South, and West streets in the 17th and 18th centuries and High Street, South Street, and Church Road in 1978; the junction between them was presumably the site of the marketplace recorded from 1499. The buildings are chiefly of brick, flint, and cobbles, some being painted or rendered or hung with tiles; roofs are of tiles, slates, or Horsham stone slabs. Many buildings are of the 18th century or earlier, especially in High Street which is flanked almost entirely by old houses. The lack of gaps between the buildings and the absence of front gardens, both there and in the adjacent part of Church Road, give the village a quasi-urban character. Many of the older buildings were still used as dwellings in 1978.

There are two medieval buildings in the village besides the church. The Old Palace is described below. At the south end of High Street nos. 4–10, part of what was called Parsonage Row in 1615, comprise a small late-medieval timber-framed house with a central two-bay hall and cross-wings with elaborately carved gables giving a faôade of modified ‘Wealden’ type. The hall and north cross-wing have exposed timber-framing and the hall has a two-storey oriel window; the south cross-wing is cased with brick and hung tiles. An upper floor was later inserted in the hall, probably in the 17th century, and an extension at the rear of the building is probably of the same date. (fn. 13) The building formerly belonged to Tarring rectory manor, and it is possible that it was the original rectory house.
“A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 6 Part 1, Bramber Rape (Southern Part)”, 1980

The Parsonage – a journey back in timeThe Parsonage began its journey back in 1987, but Parsons Row and Tarring Village have a long and illustrious history dating back to 1066!Tarring was given by King Athelstan of England to the archbishops of Canterbury in the 10th century. At the time of the Domesday Book in 1086, the village was known as Terringes, and consisted of 50 households. It is thought that the place name means “Teorra’s people”, with Teorra being a Saxon settler. There is a tradition that the village was visited by Thomas Becket, the martyred archbishop, in the 12th century and also by St Richard of Chichester, patron saint of Sussex, in the 13th century. West Tarring is noted for its 13th-century parish church of St Andrew, 13th-century Archbishop’s Palace, numerous old houses including the 15th-century, now Grade II listed, timber-framed Parsonage Row. The present day Parsonage, now the oldest restaurant in Worthing was formerly home for the Sussex Archaeological Museum in the mid 80’s. Since 1987 the Parsonage has adapted and grown with the changing preferences of its customers and visitors.
The Parsonage

John Knox’s House, Edinburgh

John Knox’s House, Nether Bow, Edinburgh
Publisher: Stewart & Woolf, London

Google Maps.

John Knox House, popularly known as “John Knox’s House”, is an historic house in Edinburgh, Scotland, reputed to have been owned and lived in by Protestant reformer John Knox during the 16th century. Although his name became associated with the house, he appears to have lived in Warriston Close where a plaque indicates the approximate site of his actual residence. The house itself was built from 1490 onwards, featuring a fine wooden gallery and hand-painted ceiling.  .  . . The visitor’s pamphlet states that the house “was Knox’s home only for a few months during the siege of Edinburgh Castle, but it is believed that he died here.” It appears to have become widely accepted as “John Knox’s House” from the mid-19th century onwards after Victorian writers like Robert Chambers and Sir Daniel Wilson had repeated the popular tradition, first recorded c.1800, of attaching Knox’s name to it. The house looked old enough to fit the description, but no research was able to establish the rights or wrongs of the claim.

Audience Room, John Knox’s House, Edinburgh
Publisher: William J Hay, Edinburgh

The Study, John Knox’s House, Edinburgh
Publisher: William J Hay, Edinburgh

Ponden Hall, Stanbury, West Yorkshire

Ponden Hall. Interior of “Wuthering Heights”

Google Street View.


Yorkshire Post: Bronte shrine for sale with a home and a thriving business

Ponden Hall is a farmhouse near Stanbury in West Yorkshire, England. It is famous for reputedly being the inspiration for Thrushcross Grange, the home of the Linton family, Edgar, Isabella, and Cathy, in Emily Brontë’s novel Wuthering Heights since Bronte was a frequent visitor. However, it does not match the description given in the novel and is closer in size and appearance to the farmhouse of Wuthering Heights itself. The Brontë biographer Winifred Gerin believed that Ponden Hall was the original of Wildfell Hall, the old mansion where Helen Graham, the protagonist of Anne Brontë’s The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, fled from her husband. Ponden shares certain architectural details with Wildfell: latticed windows, a central portico and date plaque above.

The main body of Ponden Hall was built in 1634 by the Heaton family, originally from Lancashire, but who appear to have settled on the hill below the moors, above the small lake of Ponden, in the 1500s. At some point they built another house opposite, Ponden House (now the site of a guesthouse built on the original house’s foundations) – whether that was before, during or after the building of the Hall no one is sure: the evidence we have is ambivalent.
The Reader’s Guide to Wuthering Heights

Birthplace of Richard Seddon (NZ Premier), Eccleston, England

Mr. Seddon’s birthplace, near St. Helen’s, Lancashire
Dated: 1906
Jones & Coleman, Auckland, N.Z.

This is a New Zealand postcard of an English house.

Google Street View.

Richard John Seddon PC (22 June 1845 – 10 June 1906) was a New Zealand politician who served as the 15th Premier (Prime Minister) of New Zealand from 1893 until his death. Seddon was born in Eccleston, St Helens, Lancashire, England, England. He arrived in New Zealand in 1866 to join an uncle in the West Coast goldfields.[3] His prominence in local politics gained him a seat in the House of Representatives in 1879. Seddon became a key member of the Liberal Party under the leadership of John Ballance. When the Liberal Government came to power in 1891 Seddon was appointed to several portfolios, including Minister of Public Works. Seddon succeeded to the leadership of the Liberal Party following Ballance’s death in 1893, inheriting a bill for women’s suffrage, which was passed the same year despite Seddon’s opposition to it.

Barn House, Whitstable, Kent

Barn House, Whitstable
Queen Mary’s Gift
Publisher: Ridout Bros, The Library, Whitstable

Google Street View.

Her Majesty’s New Charity— Holiday Home for Girls.
The Queen has decided to devote the Coronation gift to her from the Maries of the Empire to a holiday, home for working girls In connection with the London Girls’ Club Union, of which her Majesty is the patroness. For this purpose Barn House, Whitstable, Kent, has been acquired by the trustees, and will be opened in the spring.

In June last, when the £18,000 has been collected In subscriptions ranging from a penny to a pound, a cheque for £12,500, which was to be added to later, was presented to the Queen at Buckingham Palace. It was her Majesty’s earnest desire that the whole of the money should be applied to some charitable purpose, but the members of the committee thought the donors, while deeply appreciating the spirit by which the Queen was prompted, would prefer that at least some portion of the gift should take a personal form. Her Majesty, yielding to their view, agreed to accept a personal offering, while, stipulating that the great bulk of the fund should be devoted to a charitable object. The investiture of the Prince of Wales as a Knight of the Garter was then just approaching, and the committee decided, with the Queen’s approval, to present to her on behalf of the subscribers the insignia of that noble Order fret in diamonds. Messrs. Garrard, the Court jewellers, were commissioned to carry out the work, and her Majesty wore the jewelled insignia on the occasion of the investiture at Windsor, which was one of the most notable ceremonies of Coronation Year. Portraits of the King and the Prince of Wales formed the other part of- the personal offering, ana It was authoritatively stated that the Queen would apply the balance of the fund to ‘an object very dear to her heart.’ Now that all the preliminaries have been successfully arranged, and the necessary building acquired, her Majesty had been pleased to authorise the announcement of her decision with regard to a holiday home for girls.

Poor London girls, jaded both physically and mentally by the strenuous nature of work in the city will find a haven of rest and pleasure at Barn House, Whitstable. The house is pleasantly situated close to the sea, and when proposed alterations have been made, will accommodate about fifteen girls. The picturesque grounds include a large orchard, a garden bordered with elm trees, and a well-kept tennis lawn. A lady prominently associated with the London Girls’ Club Union, in connection with which the home is to be established, stated that the girls who are sent to the home will be chosen from tho fifty clubs belonging to the union and having a membership of between four and five thousand girls. The girls sent to the home will be those who most urgently require rest and freedom from worry, and the term of their stay will probably be two or three weeks. All the work they will be expected to do in the home will probably be the care of their own bedrooms. Facilities for indoor games and amusements, and for tennis and croquet in the garden will probably be provided. Whether or not the girls will De asked to make some small payment in return for this holiday accommodation is a question which the Queen will decide. Some time in the Spring the first batch of London working girls will be sent to the home, which will be called after Queen Mary.
Sunday Time, 17 December 1911

It will be remembered that at the Coronation the “Marys of the Empire” subscribed towards a presention to the Queen. Out of the money raised a Home was founded by the Queen at Whitstable. It is now being put to an extended use. The Home was built for the use of the working girls of London in need of change and sea air, but it has been found that accommodation was required only during the summer months. Her Majesty has given directions that for the remainder of each year the Home shall be set aside for the use of ladies in poor circumstances who are earning their living. Each is called upon to contribute towards her support at the rate of 12s. weekly, and there has been a rush of applicants.
Papuan Times, 15 January 1913

When Queen Alary went to Whitstable the other day to look over Barn House, which she Is lending to the V.A.D. Kent, 138, she onlv gave a few hours’ notice of her intention to the commandant, Miss : Geraldine Campbell (who is well known to many soldiers in India). Among other things the problem of meeting Her Majesty at the station arose (Mr. Gossip writes in the “Dally Sketch”), and a member of the detachment, Miss Dot Carson, volunteered to do so in her car. She was not aware that she was to be the first woman who had ever driven Queen Mary until the Queen herself told her so. Miss Carson is 18, and not only drove the car herself, but acted as footman, &c. The Queen Complimented and congratulated her most charmingly
The Telegraph, 3 December 1915

Quebec House, Westerham, Kent

Quebec House, Residence of General Wolffe, Westerham

In 1726 Edward Wolfe and his young bride rented this house, then called Spiers. A year later their first son, James was born. When, at 32, James died a hero in the battle of Quebec the house was renamed in his honour. Originally built between 1530 and 1550 the first building was an L-shaped timber framed house. In the 1630s the layout was altered to create the latest fashion, what historians call a ‘double pile’ house. By the 1880s the house was divided in two and Quebec House West was used as a school.
National Trust

James Wolfe (2 January 1727 – 13 September 1759) was a British Army officer known for his training reforms and remembered chiefly for his victory in 1759 over the French at the Battle of the Plains of Abraham in Quebec as a major general. . . . The outbreak of the Seven Years’ War in 1756 offered Wolfe fresh opportunities for advancement. His part in the aborted raid on Rochefort in 1757 led William Pitt to appoint him second-in-command of an expedition to capture the Fortress of Louisbourg. Following the success of the siege of Louisbourg he was made commander of a force which sailed up the Saint Lawrence River to capture Quebec City. After a long siege, Wolfe defeated a French force under the Marquis de Montcalm, allowing British forces to capture the city. Wolfe was killed at the height of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham due to injuries from three musket balls. Wolfe’s part in the taking of Quebec in 1759 earned him lasting fame, and he became an icon of Britain’s victory in the Seven Years’ War and subsequent territorial expansion. He was depicted in the painting The Death of General Wolfe, which became famous around the world. Wolfe was posthumously dubbed “The Hero of Quebec”, “The Conqueror of Quebec”, and also “The Conqueror of Canada”, since the capture of Quebec led directly to the capture of Montreal, ending French control of the colony.

Quebec House

Publisher: W. T. Williams, The Library, Westerham