Pontoon Bridge, Nowshera, Pakistan


Pontoon Bridge — Nowshera
c.1910
Publisher: Moorli Dhur & Sons

Google Street View (location).

Nowshera, or Nowshahra, a town and cantonment in Peshawar district of the North-West Frontier Province of India, situated on the right bank of the Kabul river 27 m. E. of Peshawar. Pop. (1901) 9518. It is the headquarters of a brigade in the 1st division of the northern army, and also the junction for the frontier railway that runs to the station of Mardan and continues to Dargai and Malakand on the route to Chitral.
Encyclopedia Britannica, 1911

The Kābul river is crossed by a permanent bridge of boats, whence roads lead to Mardān and Chārsadda. The iron road and railway bridge across the river was opened on December 1, 1903.
“Imperial Gazetteer of India”, vol. 18, 1908

Huonville, Australia


Huonville, Tasmania 1910.
c.1910
Publisher: McVilly & Little

Google Street View.

Huonville is a town on the Huon River, in the south-east of Tasmania, Australia. It is the seat of the Huon Valley Council area and lies 38 km south of Hobart on the Huon Highway. . . . The first Europeans to set eyes on the Huon River were the crew commanded by Admiral Bruni d’Entrecasteaux. The river was named by him in honour of his second in command, Captain Huon de Kermadec. The name is preserved today in many features: the town, the river, the district and so on. The first European settlers were William and Thomas Walton in 1840. Huonville was not originally intended as the site of a town. Nearby Ranelagh was laid out as the town of Victoria in colonial days. Huonville grew around the bridge crossing the Huon River and hotels at the bridge. It was officially declared a town in 1891.
Wikipedia.

Huonville is a centre for the Huon District which services the local timber, paper mill and fruit growing industries as well as tourism. It is the gateway to the beautiful Huon Valley. It was the apple orchards of the valley that gave Tasmania the name ‘The Apple Isle’ in the 1960s. . . The Huon River and the nearby D’Entrecasteaux Channel are popular fishing and boating areas. The Channel is sheltered from the wrath of the Southern Ocean by the bulk of Bruny Island to the east. The drive from Huonville to D’Entrecasteaux Channel via Cygnet is particulary scenic; the still waters of the river offer spectacular photo opportunities. . . . Huonville was not originally intended as the site of a town. Nearby Ranelagh was laid out as the town of Victoria in colonial days. Huonville grew around the bridge crossing the Huon River and hotels at the bridge. Today the Huon Valley is best known as one of Tasmania’s primary apple growing areas. Once enormous in its extent, the significance of the industry has declined steadily since the 1950s and today cherries and fish farming are the rising commercial stars of the district. Tourism is an important part of Huonville and the surrounding Huon Valley. The area is renowned for its scenic beauty and history as one of Australia s biggest apple producers.
Our Tasmania


Huonville, 2016 More photos

Since the land on which Huonville is now located was originally privately owned the early buildings in the town were built along Glen Road and past Ironstone Creek. The construction of the bridge in 1876 (it cost £4400 and was a toll bridge charging 2 pence for walkers and 6 pence for horses) ensured that a town would eventually grow up where the road crossed the river. In the early days the ‘town’ was nothing more than the Picnic Hotel and a shop or two along the river. The Picnic Hotel was burnt down and subsequently rebuilt as the Grand Hotel which still stands near the bridge. It wasn’t until 1889 that the town became known as Huonville.

The first bridge was timber with blackwood arches and had a lift span on the northwest end to let sailing ships through. Unfortunately the animals which were driven across the bridge tended to leave dirt and the lift span was notorious for not working properly. The original bridge was eventually replaced in 1926 and in 1959 the present steel and concrete structure was completed.
Sydney Morning Herald (requires login)

FIRE AT HUONVILLE.
BLOCK OF BUILDINGS BURNED DOWN.
CONTENTS WHOLLY DESTROYED
(From Our Huon Reporter.) HUONVILLE, March 23.
The most disastrous fire that has ever occurred in the Huon broke out in the early hours of this morning, and in a very short space of time accounted for damage in the neighbourhood of £2,000. The fine business premises of Messrs S Marchi and Co of Huonville, comprising two spacious stores and a dwelling house have been completely gutted and their contents destroyed. About 4.30 this morning Trooper Turn-bull who lives almost immediately opposite the destroyed property, was awakened by a loud report, followed instantly by another. He jumped out of bed and looked out of the window. Just then he heard another explosion, and saw a quantity of smoke coming from the direction of Messrs. Marsh and Co acetylene gas generator, which was situated about 18ft, from the main store. It would be about five minutes from the time he heard the first explosion until the last one occurred. The concussion from the third explosion broke the pane of glass in the window through which he was looking.

The first explosion was the loudest of all and was heard miles away. As the trooper hurriedly dressed himself he could hear people calling out “Fire”, and, leaning out of the window he could see flames coming out of the centre of the main store. As he was leaving the house he met Mr Alex Robertson, baker to Marsh and Co., who informed him that he had discovered the premises to be on fire. By this time a number of residents had appeared on the scene, half-dressed, and were work-ing hard saving all they could in the adjoining outbuildings as well as playing water on the Picnic Hotel and on buildings which adjoined the property of the company. It was not more than an hour from the time the fire was discovered until the complete collapse of the whole block of buildings, and through the totally inadequate supply of water it was impossible to save anything from them, although there were scores of indefatigable workers on the spot.
The Mercury, 24 March 1916

Bridge, Grande Rivière Noire, Mauritius


Pont suspendu (Grande Rivière N.-O.)
Suspension Bridge, Grande Rivière Noire

The once magnificent Suspended Bridge of Grand River North West (GRNW) laid its first stone on the 9th January 1837… and was the main access to Port Louis from the West. At that time it was being used mostly by pedestrians & carts as motorised vehicles weren’t yet available. Its structure and architecture was more or less of stone and iron with an arc-style stone pillar on both sides of the bank. With time and age, the bridge was no longer safe and had to be rebuilt differently to cater for the increase in population and traffic of the time. The Suspended Bridge was transformed into a steel bridge.
Vintage Mauritius

Niagara Falls, US & Canada


American Falls from Goat Island Niagara Falls
1900s
Souvenir Post card Co., New York & Berlin (1905-1915)

Known in the past as the premiere Honeymoon destination, this geological wonder is not only one of most popular tourist attractions in the state of New York, but also functions as one of the major power providers to the state itself. Comprised of three waterfalls — American Falls, Horseshoe Falls and Bridal Veil Falls — Niagara Falls water stems from the upper Great Lakes and the river is estimated to be 12,000 years old. The wonder of the falls has intrigued many and has prompted daredevils to “conquer” the falls in various contraptions from wooden barrels to rubber balls.

Niagara Falls consists of two waterfalls on the Niagara River, which marks the border between New York and Ontario, Canada: the American Falls, located on the American side of the border, and the Canadian or Horseshoe Falls located on the Canadian side. To the right of the American Falls is a smaller waterfall that has been separated from the American Falls by natural forces, which is usually called Bridal Veil Falls.
History.com


American Falls, view from Canadian Side, Niagara Falls, N.Y
Postmarked 1907
Publisher: Illustrated Post Card (1904-1914)

Read more

Nile River, Egypt


Bord du Nil
[Edge of the Nile]
c.1910
Published Lichtenstein & Harari, Cairo (1902-1912)


EGYPT. — The Tree Showing the place where Moses was found by the Pharaos Daughter
On the back:
Egypte. — L’Arbre indiquant l’endroit ou Moise a été trouvé par la fille de Pharaos
1910s
Publisher: Levy & Sons

During the first world war, soldier camped near Cairo often visted the city, buying souvenirs and takings tours of the city, which included many holy sites such as the place where Moses was found.  When they later wrote home about what they’d seen, the letters were often publishined in their local newspaper: Some extracts:

We visited Old Cairo again last Sunday, having a guide this time, who took us through two of the oldest churches in Egypt, being built by the Romans 2000, years B.C., almost as old as the pyramids. We then crossed the Nile to see where Moses was found in the rushes, but his cradle and Moses were not present, there being only a few reeds and a tree. The trip was very interesting, most of the old city now having given away, making a large heap of stone lying on the ground.
“Soldiers’ Letters: Pte. C. W. Boore.” The Grafton Argus and Clarence River General Advertiser, 16 August 1916

We drove through the main streets, then through some old broken down place (what is called the Old Cairo), till we came to the River Nile, where Moses was found in the bullrushes. A big pillar has been erected in the traditional place. At this pillar some of the water is taken away every August by the Sultan.
“Letters from the Front”, Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners’ Advocate, 15 August 1916

We visited Rhodes Island, on the Nile, where Moses was found by Pharaoh’s daughter, in the bullrushes. Bullrushes are still there, just near Pharaoh’s Palace, which is still there also.
“A letter from Pte. John, Murtagh”, Queensland Times, 18 November 1915

It might be about here.

I have pointed out elsewhere that as Cairo is the Arab capital, it was essential for the picturesque legend of Moses and the bulrushes to be located within a reasonable distance of that city, and the Island of Roda afforded the most promising locality. It had a mud shoal, upon which bulrushes may conceivably have grown in prehistoric times. It is not so near the chief sights and monuments of the capital as to be swamped by their superior attractions; it is rather a favourite picnicking place. Your Mohammedan is more apt to combine picnics with religious celebrations than most people. The visit to the family tombs on the chief day of Bairam seems to the eye of the infidel Christian much more connected with eating and drinking than anything else. Therefore the Princess Bint-Anat, the Pharaoh’s favourite daughter, and probably his wife also — some say that she stood in both these relations to Rameses the Great himself—had to find Moses’s ark on some portion of that once-favoured isle.
“Oriental Cairo: the city of the ‘Arabian nights'”, Douglas Brooke Wheelton Sladen, 1911

Chagres River, Panama

Chagres River, Source of Water Supply Of High Level Locks of the Panama Canal

Published Valentines & Sons Publishing Co, New York. Postmarked 1908.

Google Maps

The Chagres River in central Panama, is the largest river in the Panama Canal’s watershed. The river is dammed twice*, and the resulting reservoirs—Gatun Lake and Lake Alajuela—form an integral part of the canal and its water system. Although the river’s natural course runs northwest to its mouth at the Caribbean Sea, its waters also flow, via the canal’s locks, into the Gulf of Panama to the south.
Wikiepdia: Chagres River & Panama Canal: Layout
*Both dams constructed after 1908

Groudle Glen, Isle of Man


The Groudle Glen, I.O.M
Dated 1931
Publisher: Valentine

Google Maps.

Images on Wikipedia Commons (more recent photos)

Only two and a half miles north of Douglas is the Groudle Glen. It is of a deep, and in places rocky nature, with a lively bubbling stream running through its length. Excellent specimens of beech grow in the upper section whilst lower down pines and larch are more abundant. A small water wheel is situated in the lower glen. An attraction in the glen is the minature railway, run by enthusiasts which operates seasonally.
Isle of Man: Things to do

In the year 1890, an enterprising businessman by the name of Mr. Richard Maitby Broadbent who owned the Bibaloe Beg farm in Onchan, purchased the lease for the whole of the Groudle Glen area from The Howstrake Estate. At that time the glen was in its natural state with grass, ferns and very few trees, indeed when the glen first opened to the public it was known as “The Fern Glen of the Isle of Man”. . . . The development of the glen continued with trees being planted and the trademark rustic bridges built across the river. A pathway was made from the entrance beside the hotel to a rocky inlet approximately half a mile around the headlands. The inlet was a perfect natural bowl, sheltered from the winds and it was decided to use it to its full potential by creating a sea-lion pool. To achieve this, the inlet was dammed and closed off, so creating a lovely pool area in which to house not only the sea-lions but even a polar bear. . . . Broadbent then hit on the idea of introducing yet another attraction, a narrow (two-foot) gauge railway to run from the inner glen to the sea-lion pool. The little railway was completed in 1896, using entirely local labour. Shortly after, Mr. Broadbent took delivery of a small locomotive, aptly named the “Sea-lion”, along with three small coaches, which had arrived from England. It was to be advertised in the local press and guide books as the world’s smallest railway. . . . The polar bears were retired during the Great War. Their keeper at the time, Mr. Fred Kelly who lived in the cottage, the ruins of which can still be seen at the lower entrance to the glen, he had been under instructions to shoot them, but was unable to face the task, however we do not know the final outcome. The second World War saw the closure of the pool, and the sea-lions released. Unfortunately when the line reopened in 1946 the Groudle company suffered badly at the hands of what had become a new post-war phenomenon, vandals. With a landslide on the headland making it impossible for the trains to reach the pool and the added fact that the sea lions were not replaced, it was decided to close the line.
Isle of Man: Groudle Glen via the Wayback Machine

The upper part of the glen, under the viaduct and towards the Whitebridge, was not accessible and once past the turnstile the visitor turned right towards the sea. After a short distance as one followed the now narrowing path high above the ravine, a rustic bridge spanned the river and led across to an ingeniously contrived walkway which clung to the face of the steep rock slabs on the far side. Some brickwork, which supported the bridge, projected out from the path and may still be seen. This aerial walkway led down to join the main path below the water wheel.
Mike Caine


The Water Wheel, Groudle Glen, Isle of Man
On the back:
British Empire Exhibition
Manx Kiosk, London —– 192-
Having a good time here but expect to have a better when I meet you in the Isle of Man.
Issued by the Isle of Man (Official) Board of Advertising and Information Free from C. P. Clague, Secretary.
1924-25

The glen has a water wheel and wheelhouse, which were first operated in about 1895. The wheel provided power for the glen’s fairy lights, and water was pumped up the glen to the hotel at the top. Later in its life, it was to become a feature in a well known 1986 BBC TV series called ‘Lovejoy”.
Isle of Man: Groudle Glen via the Wayback Machine

The glen was laid out with rustic style pathways and bridges over the River Groudle by means of which the visitor could walk through the glen and down to the beach. A water wheel, sited where the river runs through a narrow defile in the rocks, was an added attraction and was the subject of many post cards. The wheel had been removed from the defunct Little Mill, higher up the Groudle river, and is reputed to have been transported to its new site by way of the river-bed. In 1894 Mr Broadbent had it set up, with a new wheel house, in Groudle glen and it was used to pump water up to the hotel.
Mike Caine