Garmisch-Partenkirchen is a ski town in Bavaria, southern Germany. It is the seat of government of the district of Garmisch-Partenkirchen (abbreviated GAP), in the Oberbayern region, which borders Austria. Nearby is Germany’s highest mountain, Zugspitze, at 2,962 metres (9,718 ft) above sea level. . . . Garmisch and Partenkirchen remained separate until their respective mayors were forced by Adolf Hitler to combine the two market towns on 1 January 1935 in anticipation of the 1936 Winter Olympic Games. Today, the united town is casually (but incorrectly) referred to as Garmisch, much to the dismay of Partenkirchen’s residents. Most visitors will notice the slightly more modern feel of Garmisch while the fresco-filled, cobblestoned streets of Partenkirchen have a generally more historic appearance.
View from Frühlingstraße, 2018 (by Friedrich-Karl Mohr, Wikimedia Commons)
Following your curiosity, you stroll along the famous Frühlingstraße. Everything around you is so picturesque it seems as if time had stopped. Balconies adorned with beautiful flowers, houses built primarily in the 18th century … Wherever you look, you see colourful Lüftlmalerei mural paintings on the facades. These artistic creations frame the historic district of Garmisch like the open pages of a picture book. Their stories tell of piety, names and professions, hopes and fears of the people. Originally, the street was a rural alpine settlement. Today, it attracts visitors from all over the world. A highlight in historic Garmisch that you should definitely see!
Kollupitiya, also known as Colpetty is a major neighbourhood of Colombo, Sri Lanka. The name Kollupitiya comes from the name of a chief from Kandy who had unsuccessfully attempted to dethrone the last king of Kandy.
DIEPPE. — La Grande-Rue. – The great street
Publisher: Édouard Crété
Dieppe was an important target in wartime; the town was largely destroyed by an Anglo-Dutch naval bombardment in 1694. It was rebuilt after 1696 in a typical French classical style by Ventabren, an architect, who gave it its unique feature for a sea port. It was popularised as a seaside resort following the 1824 visit of the widowed Duchess of Berry, daughter-in-law of Charles X. She encouraged the building of the recently renovated municipal theatre, the Petit-Théâtre (1825), associated particularly with Camille Saint-Saëns. During the later 19th century, Dieppe became popular with English artists as a beach resort. Prominent literary figures such as Arthur Symons loved to keep up with the latest fads of avant-garde France here, and during “the season” sometimes stayed for weeks on end.
La place d’armes d’Albert: images of destruction of Albert during WWI (in French, but mostly images).
Albert was founded as a Roman outpost, in about 54 BC. After being known by various forms of the name of the local river, the Ancre, it was renamed to Albert after it passed to Charles d’Albert, duc de Luynes. It was a key location in the Battle of the Somme in World War I . . . The German army recaptured the town in March 1918 during the Spring Offensive; the British, to prevent the Germans from using the church tower as a machine gun post, directed their bombardment against ‘imaginary’ trenches the other side of the basilica as orders specifically stopped them from targeting buildings in the town; the line of fire took the artillery through the basilica, thus it was destroyed. The statue fell in April 1918 and was never recovered. In August 1918 the Germans were again forced to retreat, and the British reoccupied Albert until the end of the war. Albert was completely reconstructed after the war, including widening and re-orienting the town’s main streets.
The prosperous, industrial town of Albert, whose population before the war numbered more than 7,000 inhabitants, is to-day entirely in ruins. Lying at the foot of a hill, on both sides of the River Ancre, Albert formerly went by the name of Ancre. At the beginning of the seventeenth century Albert belonged to Concini, the favourite minister of Marie de Medicis, but after his downfall in 1619 it became the property of Charles d’Albert, Duke of Luynes, who gave it his name. . . . The shelling of the town began on September 29, 1914, and continued unceasingly until it had been annihilated. The numerous iron and steel works, mechanical workshops, sugar factories and brick-kilns, which had contributed to the prosperity of the town, were specially singled out by the enemy artillery. No public building, not excepting the civilian hospital, was spared. In spite of the Red Cross flag which floated over the hospital, the Germans, with the help of an aeroplane, directed a violent artillery fire upon it on March 21, 1915, killing five aged inmates and wounding several others, as well as the Superior. In October, 1916, Albert was at last out of range of the German guns. But in 1918 the British were unable to withstand the overwhelming German thrust, except on the west of the town, and the latter fell into the hands of the enemy on March 26, after desperate fighting. Albert remained in the first enemy lines until August 22, when the British counter-offensive, which was destined to clear the whole district—this time definitely—was launched.
“Illustrated Michelin Guides to the Battlefields: The Somme, Volume I The First Battle Of The Somme (1916-1917)”, Michelin & Cie, 1919
Launceston Post Office was designed by the Tasmanian Government Architect William Waters Eldridge who had inspected the site in January 1885. Eldridge had recently completed a design for the Hobart Supreme Court buildings (1884–87) and his working drawings for the Launceston Post and Telegraph Office are dated 8 July 1885. On 23 November 1885, the building contract was awarded to James Hill (or Hills?). On 24 March 1887, the contract was transferred to John and Thomas Gunn who completed most of the construction by 1889. The design of the corner turret as a low conical spire was not well received by the public, and various modifications were put forward. In February 1890, a design by architects Corrie & North for a taller cylindrical tower topped by an octagonal pointed roof was accepted. On 22 December 1890 the telegraph office was opened and in January 1891, postal services were transferred from the government offices and the building opened.
When opened, the building was not well received by the local community; the bold external patterning and colour was considered controversial, as was the interior arrangement of the mailroom and quadrangle. Some asserted the design to be “the last and grossest insult to the people of Launceston” and called for its demolition. Further, by error, the tower was constructed without provision for a clock as originally intended.The matter of the clock resurfaced during the city’s 1906 centenary celebrations and the Launceston Clock and Chimes Committee was formed to initiate a public subscription push to fund its installation. The committee raised an estimated £1,339 for the purpose, but also used the opportunity to redress the presentation of the upper tower by replacing the top section with a taller design. In January 1908, Inspector-General Colonel Percy Owen the Commonwealth Department of Home Affairs Works Division, which had taken over responsibility for post office design following the passage of the Commonwealth Post and Telegraph Act in 1902, presented two bell tower options to the committee. Their preferred design was selected and an order placed with Gillett and Johnston of Croydon of Surrey, England for the clock and bells. The design for the Edwardian Baroque tower top, with clocks in all 4 faces, was by Hedley Westbrook, possibly under the supervision of the Commonwealth Senior Architect John Smith Murdoch, and working drawings were prepared by May 1908. The clock and bells were installed in October 1909 and the tower completed in 1910.
In the meantime, the site for a new Post and Telegraph Office was selected and in early 1885 the Government Architect, William Eldridge, prepared some plans that promised a handsome and ornamental building. It was to include a circular corner with the provision for one clock face and finished with an arched tower and a cupola.
James Hills won the tender to erect the Post Office, starting in December 1885, with completion expected in two years. The Launceston Council accepted another offer from the Premier for the Port Arthur clock to be erected in the tower of the new Post Office. The Daily Telegraph was again outraged that a “relic of barbarism” was so readily accepted by the Aldermen when the “people of Launceston are desirous of wiping out the very name of Port Arthur … [and will protest] against the tower of one of their handsomest public buildings be made a receptacle for a cast off clock from the most notorious penal station in the British dominions.” There was a flurry of letters, and even a poem, sent to the editors of newspapers urging the Council to reject the offer “with scorn and indignation.” The Council replied that the clock suitable for the Post Office tower “should have four faces, strike the hours and quarter-hours, and be illuminated at night.” As the Port Arthur clock did not have these qualities it was not suitable after all. In March 1887 Mr Hills handed over his contract to build the Post Office to J. and T. Gunn. By July 1889 the “fine and attractive looking edifice” was nearing completion, except for the tower. Finished before the end of the year, the stunted tower was considered ugly and an embarrassment to the city.
. . .
The Federal Government made it clear that it had “no money to spend on towers or clocks.” In 1904 the Mayor, JW Pepper, raised the idea that a clock and chimes would be a suitable memorial of the 1906 centenary of British settlement in Northern Tasmania and that money could be raised by public subscription. . . . In January 1908, the Launceston Council accepted plans for alterations to the tower drawn by John Smith Murdoch, Commonwealth Architect. In May 1908, J. and T. Gunn secured the contract for 860 pounds and started work in June. A clock chamber and belfry some 16 feet higher than the previous structure, capped by a cupola, replaced the top portion of the tower. The lower balcony and archway were removed, as was a vertical strip of stonework beneath it. Finished in February 1909, the citizens finally had a tower of which they could be proud.
Marion Sargent, Launceston Historical Society (Facebook)