Fairmont Hotel, San Francisco, USA


Fairmont Hotel, on Nob Hill, San Francisco, Cal.
c.1920
Publisher: Pacific Novelty Co., San Francisco
Prnter: A.F. Broad, 48 3rd Street, San Francisco

The Fairmont San Francisco is an AAA Four-Diamond luxury hotel at 950 Mason Street, atop Nob Hill in San Francisco, California. The hotel was named after mining magnate and U.S. Senator James Graham Fair (1831–94), by his daughters, Theresa Fair Oelrichs and Virginia Fair Vanderbilt, who built the hotel in his honor. . . . The hotel was nearly completed before the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. Although the structure survived, the interior was heavily damaged by fire, and opening was delayed until 1907. Architect and engineer Julia Morgan was hired to repair the building because of her then innovative use of reinforced concrete, which could produce buildings capable of withstanding earthquakes and other disasters.
Wikipedia.

Fairmont San Francisco is the city’s grande dame, a Beaux-Arts masterpiece where notable events happen — and have ever since it opened its venerable doors in 1907. The fabled history permeates the walls — you feel it as soon as you step into the sumptuous lobby. The hotel has hosted world leaders, diplomats, entertainment stars, cultural icons, and also staged star-studded galas and internationally impactful events. Fairmont San Francisco earned the moniker “White House of the West” for having welcomed every U.S. President visiting the city since the hotel’s inception. This flagship has also witnessed numerous historic firsts. A pioneer in the industry, Fairmont San Francisco introduced America to hotel concierge services, and was the first hotel in the city to house honey beehives on its rooftop garden to raise awareness of the world’s collapsing bee colony population.
Fairmont San Francisco


Ball Room, Fairmont Hotel, San Francisco, Cal.
c.1910
Publisher: Newman Post Card Co., Los Angeles

Google Street View.

Fairmont floor plan

The Gold Room boasts some of the Hotel’s finest molding and detailing; it is truly a grand space. Elegant trim and gilded mirrors lines the walls and reflect some classic San Francisco views from the tall windows overlooking the Bay. The chandeliers add emphasis to the high ceilings without obscuring site line for presentations.
Fairmont San Francisco room information brochures

Dance Pavilion, Euclid Beach Park, Cleveland, Ohio, USA


Interior of the largest and finest dancing pavilion in the world
Euclid Beach Park
Postmarked: 1912
Publisher: Century Post Card Co, Cleveland, Ohio

Approximate location.

Location of buildings & rides overlaid on more recent view.

In 1895, five Cleveland businessmen opened Euclid Beach Park. Located on the southern shore of Lake Erie, on the east side of Cleveland, this parcel of land would become a magical place that was more than just an amusement park-it was an institution of the community. However, in 1900, “the Beach” faced financial collapse under the original owners. After being rescued by the Humphrey family, Euclid Beach began its ascendancy in the 1901 season.
Euclid Beach Park

Euclid Beach Park was built abutting a beach on Lake Erie, which was part of the attraction, and, for a time, a principal part of the Park’s attraction. An early addition to the park was its dance hall. After the Humphreys acquired the park, many more attractions were made part of Euclid Beach. . . .Many structures still standing on the Euclid Beach site after its closing, including the famous dance hall, were destroyed in a series of arson fires.
Wikipedia.

1895 – Euclid Beach Park opens. The Euclid Beach Park Company, owners of the park, had erected a fence surrounding the property, located eight miles east of Cleveland on the southern shore of Lake Erie. Admission was charged for patrons to enjoy a beer garden, games of chance, and a few mechanical amusement rides. The five original structures were: The Pier, German Village, Theater, Dance Pavilion, and Bath House.
Euclid Beach Park

La Salle Hotel, Chicago, USA


New Hotel La Salle, Chicago
c.1910

Google Street View.

Moore’s Postcard Museum (interior photos)

WORLD’S BIGGEST HOTEL.
Chicago is planning to build tho biggest hotel in tho world. This is the new La Salle Hotel, to be erected at La Salle and Madison streets. With tho furnishings, the hotel’ will represent an investment ot approximately £700,000, and with the land, which was leased on the hasis ot a value of £500,000, tho total will run up to £1,200,000. The building will be twenty two storeys high, with two basements, and will havo 1172 rooms.
Sunday TImes, Sun 8 Mar 1908


The Main Lobby, Hotel La Salle, Chicago
Postmarked 1910
Publisher: Hotel La Salle

It is the most conspicuous hotel structure in Chicago, being twenty-two stories high, twenty of them being above ground. It is the tallest hotel in the world. Everything in it is of the finest and best. From the sidewalk to the copper cheneau, crowning the roof, the building measures 260 feet and it towers above all other skyscrapers the most conspicuous object in the downtown district. From the lake and surrounding country its shining top can be seen a long distance. It is fire-proof, and the steel frame rests on 105 concrete caissons which extend down to bed-rock 110 feet below the street line.
. .. .
It might be of interest to know that it cost $600,000 to furnish this hotel, and that there are 25,000 pieces of furniture in the house, and that it took eighty cars to transport it to Chicago, and that 4,700 pieces of this furniture are upholstered. All the furniture was made from special designs and the patterns destroyed after the pieces were completed. It might be stated that the general line of decoration throughout the hotel is of the Louis XV style, and that even the silverware and the linen were especially designed. The main dining-room, however, seventy-six feet long, fifty feet wide and twenty-five feet high, is finished in the sumptuous style of the Louis XIV period, the Corinthian order being used as the basis. The entablature is molded after the fashion then in vogue, and the capitals of the pilasters are foiled with acanthus leaves. The ceiling has richly molded ornaments and in the center is a large painting suggestive of sky and clouds.
. . .
The laundry is on the twenty first floor, and has a capacity of 60,000 to 75,000 pieces a day. The kitchen, a marvel in its way, was opened August 25.
. . .
The kitchen of the La Salle is equipped with the celebrated Cochrane Dish-washing machines, which wash, rinse, dry and thoroughly sterilize the dishes, with absolutely no chipping or breakage of the finest china. These machines have a capacity of from thirty-forty dozen pieces of china every two minutes and there is no lifting of the dishes during the process of being washed and rinsed, as the dishes stand stationery.
. . .
The gentlemen’s cafe and bar is beautifully executed in oak, with a fumed finish, very heavily and elaborately carved. In the principal dining room on the first floor, the French style is carried out, set off by rich decorations. Among the restaurants in the basement may be mentioned the German restaurant. This room is done in oak, while the basement restaurant proper is done in gray maple with a very elaborate vaulted ceiling. The writing room on the first floor is executed in genuine English oak. The State Suite, one of the most beautiful apartments known to any hotel in the country, has an especially fine dining room done in oak with rich gilding. The parlor in this suite is in enamel in the style of Louis XVI. The Grand Ball Room, the Banquet Room, and the Palm Room, the Ladies’ Reception Room and the various parlors are all done by Hilger & Company, and will equal if not surpass that of any shown in this country or abroad.
Chicago Examiner, 5 September 1909, pp 12-13

Read more