Maarjamäe Palace, Tallinn, Estonia


Tallinn | “Marienberg” lennukilt
[“Marienberg” from the plane]
Postmarked 1924
Publisher: “H.S.”

Google Maps.

[Translated from Estonian, with Google Translate]
In 1873, Count Anatoly Orlov-Davõdov (1837–1905), a resident of St. Petersburg, bought a plot of land on Strietberg with the buildings there from the heirs of Rotermann. Anatoly Orlov-Davõdov named Marienberg. The modern Estonian version of the place, Maarjamäe, did not go into circulation until the late 1930s. The castle of Maarjamäe summer manor was built on the site of the former factory building , probably using old walls. The main gate of the plot was decorated with copper eagles, and a staircase terrace was built to reach the beach, which reached the sea. The main building was constructed as a rectangular ground plan with the single-mansards Maarjamäe summer residence kitchen, the structure is connected to a closed gallery summer the main building. In 1926–1928, the current Pirita Road was taken through the seaside beach, cutting off the connection of Maarjamäe Summer Manor Castle and the stairs to the seashore . The English-style park area of Maarjamäe summer manor was much larger than today, the manor house had a magnificent greenhouse with limestone walls, which was located in the currentAbove the Maarjamäe memorial , a garden with a pond, tennis courts, the Countess’s painting studio and a number of outbuildings.

During the time of Anatoly Orlov-Davõdov’s son AA Orlov-Davõdov, the premises of the summer manor were no longer rented to holidaymakers, but the count moved to Marienberg with his servants in the spring. Marienberg was a summer resort valued by the higher society of St. Petersburg, it was visited by several representatives of the high class in St. Petersburg, including the mother of the Russian Emperor Marja Fyodorovna . The guest rooms were located in the north-east wing of the summer manor castle.
Wikipedia.

By the 1820s, Tallinn had become a famous beach resort. Count Anatoli Orlov-Davydov (1837–1905) who resided in St. Petersburg, a great metropolis of the Russian Empire, bought the Strietberg plot with its buildings from Rotermann’s heirs on 29 January 1873. Anatoli Orlov-Davydov named the place Marienberg, probably in honour of his wife, Maria. The Estonian version of the name — Maarjamäe — became popular in the late 1930s. In the wake of the 1917 revolution, the Orlov-Davydov family emigrated from Russia and the summer manor was leased.
Ajaloomuuseum

Mount Vernon, USA


Geo. Washington’s House at Mount Vernon.
c.1910
Publisher: Arthur Capper, Topeka

Google Maps (location).

Virtual Tour

Mount Vernon is an American landmark and former plantation of George Washington, the first President of the United States, and his wife, Martha. The estate is on the banks of the Potomac River in Fairfax County, Virginia. It is located south of Washington, D.C. and Alexandria, Virginia and is across the river from Prince George’s County, Maryland. The Washington family acquired land in the area in 1674. Around 1734, the family embarked on an expansion of its estate that continued under George Washington, who began leasing the estate in 1754 before becoming its sole owner in 1761. The mansion was built of wood in a loose Palladian style; the original house was built by George Washington’s father Augustine, around 1734. George Washington expanded the house twice, once in the late 1750s and again in the 1770s. It remained Washington’s home for the rest of his life. Following his death in 1799, under the ownership of several successive generations of the family, the estate progressively declined as revenues were insufficient to maintain it adequately. In 1858, the house’s historical importance was recognized and it was saved from ruin by the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association; this philanthropic organization acquired it together with part of the Washington property estate.
Wikipedia.


Main Hall, Mt Vernon Mansion, VA.
On back:
MAIN HALL, MOUNT VERNON MANSION, VA.
This is the central hall of Washington Mansion at Mt. Vernon. It is a beautiful example of the architecture of Colonial days.

Publisher: B.S. Reynolds, Washington, D.C. 1902-1948

The central passage is the entryway into the Washingtons’ home, the place where visitors who came by carriage through the west front drive were greeted. Entertaining also occurred in the central passage, particularly during hot Virginia summers when the family gathered here to enjoy breezes from the open doorways.
George Washington’s Mount Vernon

Today meticulously restored to its appearance in 1799, the mansion preserves the legacy of this great American. Three rooms are on either side of the wide central hall on the first floor. The front parlor, music room, and the grand two-story large dining room are located north of the center hall. A small dining room, a first floor bedchamber, and Washington’s private study are on the south side of the house. The second floor contains six bedrooms, including the master bedroom, with its narrow staircase leading directly to Washington’s study below. The third floor has more bedchambers, including the small garret chamber to which Martha Washington retreated after her husband’s death.
National Parks Service


West Parlor, Mount Vernon, VA.
On back:
WEST PARLOR, MT. VERNON, VA.
In the West Parlor much of the furnishing was here in Washington’s day. The rug here was made by order of Louis XVi for Washington. It is of a dark green ground; in the center is the America eagle surrounded with stars.

1920s
Publisher: B.S. Reynolds, Washington, D.C. 1902-1948

Before the New Room was completed, Washington considered the front parlor to be “the best place in my House.” This elegant room was a public space where visitors enjoyed the Washington family’s company. Tea and coffee were customarily served here during the winter and on rainy days, and the household gathered here in the evenings to read, discuss the latest political news, and play games.
George Washington’s Mount Vernon

Read more