Skansen Lejonet, Gothenburg, Sweden

On back:
Lejon Castle, Gotenborg, Sweden.–One of the Historical spots of Sweden, with which many romantic episodes are connected.

Google Street View.

Skansen Lejonet is a redoubt in Gothenburg, Sweden, built in 1687. Since 1822 it has served other purposes. The fortress and the twin counterpart, Skansen Kronan, were built according to plans by Erik Dahlbergh as part of the defenses against possible Danish attack on Gothenburg from the south, and thus had a similar purpose as the Älvsborg fortress. The fortress — originally built outside the city walls — is today centrally situated in the city of Gothenburg. . . . Skansen Lejonet was erected on the site for an older fortress, known as Gullbergs hus, first mentioned in 1303.[3] It was many times destroyed by the Danes, and again rebuilt by the Swedes.[4] Gullberg is the name of the hill of the fortress.
Skansen Lejonet: The Lion Redoubt, Medieval Fortress, Heraldic Lion of Gothenburg (Medium)

According to Statens Fastighetsverk, the National Property Board of Sweden, the fortress was subjected to repeated attacks, repairs and reinforcements. In 1612, Denmark captured the Swedish territories of the West Coast and totally destroyed the fortress. When Sweden regained this area, it needed to set up defences against new attacks. As the man in charge of building and maintain Sweden’s defences, Erik Dahlbergh had Skansen Westgötha Lejon (today known as Skansen Lejonet) built on Gullbergsklippan in 1687. Its purpose was to protect the newly fortified city of Gothenburg and the whole of Västergötland. . . .According to another expert, “Over time in Gothenburg changed from a fortified city into a centre of trade. In 1807 it was decided to demolish the fortifications, but the two redoubts, Lejonet and Kronan were spared. Skansen Lejonet served as a storehouse, first for gunpowder factory and later for Sweden’s home guard. In 1893 the redoubt was fitted with a new four metre copper lion to replace the original wooden lion that had rotted away. After 1942, Skansen Lejonet was left to deteriorate.

There are two redoubts in Gothenburg, the thing that divide them is the symbol in the top. One has a lion and the other one a crown. They are Gothenburg´s old defence redoubts from the end of the 1600´s. 1639 in the city council, a proposal was given. The mountains around the city should have redoubts to “insure the city”. . . Before the skans was placed here some other defence redoubts have been at this place. During a certain time the rock was without any defence. It was not until King Erik XIV 1568 gave orders about that the rock should have a defence. Then thing started to happen. . . . Skansen Westgötha Leijon started to be built June 22, 1687. The inauguration was perform by the King XI 1689, but the Skansen was not completely done before year 1694. The architect Erik Dahlbergh has made the design of Skansen and also Skansen Kronan. The walls are 22 feet thick and the building have two floors. Skansen has never been involve in any battle. When time passed the fortress lost it´s value within the army. Skansen was later also used as a place to live in and also used as a storage and eventually was left to its fate
I Love Goteborg

Ski jump, Fiskartorpet, Sweden

“Fiskartorpet”, skidbacke vid Stockholm
c. 1910

Fiskartorpet is a recreational area north of Stockholm, Sweden, in the Djurgården area. It features a small hotel, a conference center, and a number of restaurants. Sporting facilities include an ice hockey rink, a soccer field, and a K-47 ski jump. The owners advertise it as the “world’s smallest ski resort”.

The first ski jump at the site was built in the 1890s.

The first ski jumping hill at Fiskartorpet was built already in 1890, but the construction which still can be seen today has its origins in 1928. However, in 1982 the hill was closed down for jumping and despite no plans to tear down the extraordinary tower (it should be kept as an historical building), at least the inrun was slowly becoming a ruin. In 2005 Kristian Entin from ski club in Enskede decided to revive the hill and he managed to engage some other ski jumpers and ski friends for the idea. In fall 2005 both hills were repaired and in March 2006 the first competition after 23 years took place.
Ski Jumping Hill Archive

Street View

City Hall, Stockholm

On back:
City Hall, Stockholm, The “Blue Hall

Publisher: Sago-Konst AB (in Swedish)

City of Stockholm

Street View (exterior)

In 1907 the city council decided to build a new city hall at the former site of Eldkvarn. An architectural contest was held which in the first stage resulted in the selection of drafts by Ragnar Östberg, Carl Westman, Ivar Tengbom jointly with Ernst Torulf, and Carl Bergsten. After a further competition between Westman and Östberg the latter was assigned to the construction of the City Hall, while the former was asked to construct Stockholm Court House. Östberg modified his original draft using elements of Westman’s project, including the tower. During the construction period, Östberg constantly reworked his plans, resulting in the addition of the lantern on top of the tower, and the abandonment of the blue glazed tiles for the Blue Hall.

Oskar Asker was employed as construction leader and Paul Toll, of the construction company Kreuger & Toll, designed the foundations. Georg Greve also assisted in preparing the plans. The construction took twelve years, from 1911 to 1923.

The site, adjacent to Stadshusbron, being bordered by the streets of Hantverkargatan and Norr Mälarstrand to the north and west, and the shore of Riddarfjärden to the south and east, allowed for a spacious layout. The building follows a roughly rectangular ground plan. It is built around two open spaces, a piazza called Borgargården on the eastern side, and the Blue Hall (Blå hallen) to the west. The Blue Hall, with its straight walls and arcades, incorporates elements of a representative courtyard. Its walls are in fact without blue decorations, but it has kept its name after Östberg’s original design.